The site covers an area of 2.52ha, which comprises of high quality architecture, public and private gardens, areas of new public realm and extensive roof gardens and terraces. We have adopted the concept of ‘Living Streets’, which is a design methodology specifically for urban areas. It aims to reduce the speed of motorised traffic, making the spaces more attractive to pedestrians.
Encouraging this social interaction is a key driver behind the landscape proposals and aims to help build a new community in what is primarily an industrial area at present. The landscape is developed to not only provide open amenity space, but also provide the following functions and services:
• Purification of the site and decontamination
• Attenuate surface run off
• Boost local biodiversity
• Educate the local community about nature and the environment.
• Provide shelter from unfavourable weather conditions
• Help reduce the heat island effect in our cities
• Absorb pollution to improve air quality
• Provide opportunities for improved well-being through fitness programs, facilities and high quality public space